Taking digital analytics to the next level
DNDi, which stands for Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative, aims to discover, develop, and deliver new treatments for neglected patients around the world that are affordable and patient-friendly – and have already saved millions of lives. The work of DNDi focuses on diseases such as sleeping sickness, chagas disease, cutaneous leishmaniasis, river blindness, mycetoma etc.
DNDi operates various websites around the globe attracting tens of thousands of visits every month. After having conducted a first digital analytics training with us in 2020 DNDi asked us how we could help to improve their digital analytics on eight of the organisation’s websites. Here’s how we helped them.
Data quality and standardization
- Digital analytics audit: The aim of this audit was to identify implementation gaps and data quality issues.
- Google Tag Manager: GTM had only been implemented on one of DNDi’s websites with a very limited scope. As part of our mission we implemented Google Tag Manager across all websites concerned and deployed a series of standardised tags.
- Goal-setting: Hardly any goals were implemented on the websites concerned. A set of content focused goals were agreed and implemented across all websites, in addition to the donations goal that features on some of the sites.
Future-proof digital analytics implementation
While Universal Analytics remained the default digital analytics implementation for DNDi we also implemented the newer Google Analytics version GA4 on all 8 websites. This dual setup allows DNDi to learn and experiment with GA4 and to be ready for the day Google decides to pull the Universal Analytics plug.
Finally, two Google Data Studio dashboards were configured to provide DNDi staff with an easily accessible overview of website performance data.
- Digital team dashboard: A 21 page report for the digital team to provide in-depth insights into the content and technical performance of each website, marketing channel and campaign performance as well Google Ads performance and organic search performance.
- C-level dashboard: The C-level dashboard provides insights into the main performance indicators of various DNDi websites at a glance.
The project was signed off at the end of July and deliverables were handed over to DNDi mid-September. Leaving aside summer holidays, the entire digital analytics renewal and expansion on 8 websites globally had been completed in four weeks. We also support DNDi on an ongoing basis with Google Ads management.